These are some of the main duties of a foster carer:
- To provide a caring, secure and stable family environment
- To meet all the child’s day-to-day individual needs
- To promote contact for the child with their family wherever possible
- To work alongside Slough Children First staff and other agencies
- To help prepare the child to move back to their family or onto a permanent placement through long-term fostering or adoption
- To facilitate the school run and support the child’s education
- To be aspirational for the child – supporting both educational and extra-curricular opportunities that will enrich their future.
As with any parenting role, there will be highlights and huge satisfaction, along with the more challenging moments. At Slough Children First, we provide all our foster carers with a range of training to help with these challenges. As well as this, there is 24/7 support when needed.